Monday, July 26, 2010

DLR LIBRARY BLOG

THE SLAP BY CHRISTOS TSIOLKAS
I was looking forward to reading this book after hearing the author speak. I will also be attending a talk by him under the auspices of DLR LIBRARY VOICES on August the 4th and so was very interested in reading this book. This prize-winning novel has caused a lot of discussion and controversy around the world and from the very first page of writing it is clear why.
The "slap" in the story takes place during a barbecue at Hector and Aisha's home for close friends and family. During the party an extremely spoilt little boy is slapped by an adult for misbehaving. The child is not his own and the ensuing fallout from this act affects the relationships of all those attending the barbecue.
While the controversy surrounding "the slap" underpins the novel, the book is much more than a story about a child being slapped. The story is told by the different characters all giving their version.
To be honest, I struggled in the beginning of this book, finding the first character Hector obnoxious, and on a couple of occasions, I was tempted to abandon the book all together. The starkness and coarseness of the writing was actually giving me a pain in my head. However I persevered and I am glad that I did. I found the book to be extremely thought provoking.
Tsiolkas is an excellent writer. His various characters are all flawed and none of them very likeable. Perhaps the message he conveys is that each of his characters are human, with good and bad traits. Hector, Harry, Anouk, Connie, Rosie, Manolis, Aisha and Richie are all struggling to live their lives, they come across clearly as real people.
While the book leaves a terrible impression especially of Australian men, and for me there were too many swear words, it is a book that once finished you will find yourself trying to answer the questions it posed.
I cannot say that I loved this book, however I will remember it.
Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment